I mentioned in my last post that I was working on another project involving cyanotypes. These are the first pictures from it.
I didn’t think the deep blue colour of a cyanotype was right for this subject matter, so I spent a fair bit of time playing around with toning and papers.
It’s surprising how different papers react to the same toner: again the expensive “art paper” sucks big time and turns a frankly horrible shade of pink, whilst the cheaper “run of the mill” paper produces beautiful shades of near black, with a hint of aubergine in there for good measure!
More to follow, and I will try and shoot some more in a similar vein in the next few months.
Toner was tannic acid: a nasty, resinous powder that is used in brewing. That’s another unexpected synergy between beer and photography – result!
Reader Alert: The one below is probably Not Safe For Work.
Large Format 4×5 MPP Mk VI & 150mm Rodenstock Sironar f5.6 and HP5.
Home made “DIY” Meniscus lens on a Canon EOS 33 and Tri-X.
Printed on Windsor & Newton “Longton” 300g/m2 paper